Fatty Liver and Fatty Liver Symptoms: Liver, the second largest and one of the most important organs in our body, perform so many vital functions of the body from detoxification of blood till secretion of bile. But when too much of fat is stored in the hepatocytes (liver cells), it causes a condition known as fatty liver. As the name indicates, when fat is deposited in excess in liver tissues, it starts the degenerative process. Today, in this modern world, it has become a very common problem and about 30-40 % of people are suffering from fatty liver, also known as hepatic steatosis. But you all should know that fatty liver is a reversible condition that can be resolved by changing our lifestyle conditions and having modifications in our diet. In this Article, we will explain Fatty Liver Symptoms. So, let’s know about its symptoms.
Fatty Liver Symptoms
Here Are 18 Common Fatty Liver Symptoms.
1. At first, commonly no signs or symptoms are visualized, but the pain in right upper quadrant of abdomen or discomfort in this area.
2. The person may feel fatigue.
3. Hepatomegaly may occur resulting in larger size of the liver.
4. Due to excess fat deposition in liver, inflammation is caused and in the inflamed liver the symptoms, such as physical weakness, abdominal pain, weight loss, the gradual decrease in appetite, i.e. you don’t want to eat anything and mental confusion or poor judgment in any situation, are most likely to occur.
5. But if these symptoms are not treated in time, it can lead to serious liver problems like, liver cells are damaged and they die and are soon replaced by the scar tissue known as liver cirrhosis (irreversible condition) i.e. scarring of liver and then liver failure, which can impair the functioning of liver for lifetime.
6. Furthermore ascites, peritonitis may also occur in which there is fluid-filled abdomen.
7. Yellowing of sclera, skin and mucous membranes, i.e. jaundice occurs due to the increased amount of bilirubin in the bloodstream.
8. This fatty liver is unable to produce the blood clotting proteins so, may also increase the tendency of the body to bleed more easily and thus may cause anemia or if internal bleeding takes place then hemorrhages may be caused, leading to more serious problems.
9. Gastro-intestinal bleeding occurs due to increase in pressure in intestinal vessels due to portal hypertension.
10. Sometimes, this condition of the fatty liver occurs during pregnancy, but the symptoms are not visible until starting of the third trimester.
The main symptoms in the third trimester are:
the feeling of persistent nausea and vomiting, the general malaise which can be understood as overall weakness, discomfort or having an illness.
11. The blood vessels just beneath the skin surface get enlarged and swollen.
12. Spleen gets enlarged, i.e. splenomegaly may occur and palms get red all the time.
13. Enlarged breasts in men can be seen if the fatty liver is not treated and cirrhosis develop.
14. Sometimes, you may have other symptoms like dark-colored patches are found on any part of the skin, mostly in the region of the neck or on the underarm skin.
15. Myalgia may also occur, i.e. wasting of muscles or severe pain in muscles.
16. Due to the abnormal concentration of fat in the liver, there is disbalance in metabolism in the liver.
17. As the liver is unable to eliminate the toxic chemicals from the body, so encephalopathy occurs and further coma may occur.
18. Liver cancer is the final and last stage if the fatty liver is not detected and treated timely. Then the only solution available will be surgical treatment or chemotherapy.
So, these are the above mentioned 18 Common Fatty Liver Symptoms.